Thursday, December 1, 2011

As the project develops!

Slowly but sure the project continues to come together. The donations are really starting to come in as Wendy and I are working to get all the finalized areas complete. Currently Wendy is working on making 200 scarfs for the children. They are 102 boys and 68 girls at "Pentru Tine." Talk about a job!!

As for me (Jamie) I have been working on all the required paperwork for humanitarian aid in Moldova. This isn't the easiest thing to accomplish due to the Moldovan Government being quite picky on what comes into their country. Yet, I believe we will be quite successful!

Thoughts:

With this project it has really made me take a step back and look at my own life. Realizing I have everything I need in the sense of clothing, family and friends. And every day we as people can take advantage of these things and not even take a second look. However, the children here in Iargara, Moldova have literally nothing. To receive a lolli pop would be like a million dollars to them. Think about the love and joy they will feel when they see the jackets, hats and scarfs!!

I wanted to share with you the conversation I had with my director in Greece and what she told me about the center. "Pentru Tine," was developed three years ago in Iargara, Moldova. This center is more then just a place for children to come and spend their time. It is a center that was built due to the problems with: human trafficking, abandonment, poverty, drug and alcohol use(kids and parents), and abuse(physically,mentally and verbally).

Iargara was chosen over 4 other villages due to the number of children in the village that would be affected in a positive way if they had a safe place to go. This village has always been a target for traffickers, as they realized the high number of young women that they could convince to come with them. As a young woman think of what you would say yes to: 1. One thousand Euro a month to come work in Italy or 2. Living in poverty and barely having anything to eat? This story really took me back and made me even more thankful that the center is here for the children.

Since the center has been open the children's grades have improved, more children are attending school on a regular basis, smoking and drinking percentages with the children have decreased, and more children are reporting that they are happier with their lives with having something to look forward to. And within the last three years since the center was built, there hasn't been one case of trafficking in Iargara!

As I said there are times when we as "humans," can take advantage of our own lives because we are use to having what we need to live. This holiday season think about giving one of those material pieces to these children in Moldova. Not only help them out, but give it to them with love and know within your heart that you did a good thing!!

We thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment